September 29, 2007

Knee, myself and I


Friday, unavoidably, I had to do some running around. Or hobbling to be more exact. Slow, sweaty, old man hobbling. Nothing like a fat guy on crutches, my friends.

Jumped in a cab to Starbucks to get my paltry paycheck. Hopped a bus to Thorek to get a copy of my x-rays. Grabbed a cab to Corus Bank to deposit aforementioned paltry paycheck. Snagged yet another cab to get home. Collapsed on couch for several hours. Attempted to clean my room. Slept better.

Saturday, luckily, I got to sleep in. Then I finished some of my cleaning and then zoned in and out during football.

THINGS THAT SUCK SO FAR:
Learning how to use crutches...when you can't bend your bad leg.

Getting exhausted easily from crutching around...then getting super frustrated from the fact I'm exhausted.

The sheer annoyance factor of not being able to do simple household chores.

Living on the third floor of a three-story walk up.

Googling ACL surgery costs and just dying at the quoted totals.

THINGS THAT DON'T SUCK SO FAR:
Very nice e-mails and text messages from my friends.

My knee doesn't hurt. I have the occasional discomfort, but no real pain.

Not feeling guilty about sleeping on the couch at any point in the day.

THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT IN THE FUTURE:
(all pending the results of Wednesday's Orthopedic visit)

Money. I can't work at Starbucks unless I can stand for a couple of hours. Just when I was crawling out of the financial pit... although if they let me sit in a stool and just run register, I might be back in business in a couple of weeks.

Improv Projects: Can't rehearse or perform with Bella due to my bum knee. Can't perform with BYB. Luckily, I can still run the Sandbox on Mondays and run BYB on Thursdays. I can still coach and sub-coach, but then it comes down to $ to get to rehearsal vs. $ earned.

Moving: I was supposed to move out at the end of this month. After a little over three years at Halsted and Addison, it was time to move on. Bum knee and money complicates things greatly.

BUT THE THING IS...
I'm still a good-natured optimist. Things happen for a reason and it all eventually works itself out. So, I'm strapping in for the ride and hoping for the best (or at the least, hoping for not the worst). Ever since I quit my Loop job last year, my life has been a chaotic mess. A delightful, entertaining mess to be sure, but a mess nonetheless.